Step 1: Be sensible on social media:
- Change your security settings to private
- Don’t advertise that you’re going away or are away
- Consider sharing your holidays when you return home
- Be mindful of the images you post
- Disable location services
Step 2: Make friends with your neighbors:
- Exchange phone numbers
- Ask them to keep an eye on your property and to call the police if they notice any suspicious activity.
Step 3: Make your house look lived in:
- Ask a neighbour to park in your driveway
- Arrange for someone to collect your mail OR put your mail on hold
Step 4: Keep valuables out of sight – true for homes, cars and businesses.
- Place the packaging of expensive items towards the bottom of your rubbish bin.
Step 5: Make access difficult:
- Lock up
- Remove items that may be climbed on
- Do not hide keys outside your home
- Install motion-sensor lights
Step 6: Upgrade your defences:
- Review your security and consider getting a Ross Galt alarm or CCTV package.
Step 7 : Ensure all window and door locks are in good working condition and remember to use them!